Heavy metal funk/soul pioneers 24-7 SPYZ plan to celebrate their 20th anniversary of the release of “Strength In Numbers” with a winter European reunion tour, featuring the CD’s original lineup of Jimi Hazel (guitar and vocals), Rick Skatore (bass and vocals), Jeff Brodnax (vocals), and Joel Maitoza(drums).
Following a successful one-off reunion show which took place at the Highline Ballroom in New York City this past August 2011, the band started discussing the possibility of playing some select dates throughout Europe and the U.S. in 2012.
“Strength In Numbers 20th Anniversary Tour” dates:
- Feb. 29 – 013 – Tilburg, Netherlands
- Mar. 01 – Luxor – Cologne, Germany
- Mar. 02 – Fenix – Sittard, Netherlands
- Mar. 03 – Paradiso – Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Mar. 04 – MS Treue – Bremen, Germany
- Mar. 05 – Hafenklang – Hamburg, Germany
- Mar. 06 – SO36 – Berlin, Germany
- Mar. 07 – KFZ – Marburg, Germany
- Mar. 08 – Grabenhalle – St. Gallen, Switzerland
- Mar. 09 – Le Repaire des Ours – Le Fayet, France
- Mar. 10 – The Machine – Paris, France
- Mar. 11 – O2 Academy Islington – London, England
The band has stated that there is a possibility of more dates being added and plans to return to Europe in the summer 2012.
24-7 SPYZ came onto the funk-rock scene in 1989 with its debut album titled “Harder Than You”, followed by “Gumbo Millennium” in 1990 (both on In-Effect/Relativity Records). The band then released a five-song EP titled “This Is… 24-7 Spyz” in 1991 after signing with Eastwest/Atlantic Records with the full-length release in 1992, “Strength In Numbers”, which included the single “Stuntman” that was featured in a Budweiser television commercial as well as an episode of “Beavis and Butthead”. 1995 brought the original lineup back together for the release of “Temporarily Disconnected” (Enemy Records) which, after a short tour, drummer Joel Maitoza reunited with Jimi Hazel and Rick Skatore to record the CDs “6″ (Enemy Records) and “Heavy Metal Soul By The Pound” (released in the U.S. on the What Are Records? label) in 1996. A live EP titled “If I Could” was released in 1997 also with the three-piece lineup. Most recently, the band has been promoting their CD “Face The Day” which was released in 2006. A new full-length release from the band is scheduled for 2012.