Dutch multi-instrumentalist and AYREON mastermind Arjen Lucassen will release his new concept solo album, “Lost In The New Real”, on April 23 in Europe (three days earlier in Germany, Austria and Switzerland) via InsideOut Music.
01. The New Real
02. Pink Beatles In A Purple Zeppelin
03. Parental Procreation Permit
04. When I’m A Hundred Sixty-Four
06. Don’t Switch Me Off
07. Dr Slumber’s Eternity Home
08. Yellowstone Memorial Day
09. Where Pigs Fly
10. Lost In The New Real
* Bonus CD-ROM section: “Behind The New Real”
01. Our Imperfect Race
02. Welcome To The Machine (PINK FLOYD cover)
03. So Is There No God?
04. Veteran Of The Psychic Wars (BLUE ÖYSTER CULT cover)
05. The Social Recluse
06. Battle Of Evermore (LED ZEPPELIN Cover)
07. The Space Hotel
08. Some Other Time (ALAN PARSONS PROJECT cover)
09. You Have Entered The Reality Zone
10. I’m The Slime (FRANK ZAPPA cover)
* Bonus CD-ROM section: “The Artwork”
A short video in which Arjen introduces you to some of the guest musicians appearing on “Lost In The New Real” can be seen below.
* Arjen Lucassen as “Mr. L”: Vocals, Instruments, Music, Lyrics
* Rutger Hauer as “Dr. Voight-Kampff”: Narration
* Wilmer Waarbroek: Backing Vocals
* Ed Warby: Drums
* Rob Snijders: Drums
* Ben Mathot: Violin
* Maaike Peterse: Cello
* Jeroen Goossens: Flute
* Elvya Dulcimer: Hammered Dulcimer On “Battle Of Evermore”
The “Lost In The New Real” title track is now available for streaming in the YouTube clip below.
The story of “Lost In The New Real” follows Mr. L, a 21st-Century man who was cryopreserved at the moment of clinical death from a terminal disease. The album begins as Mr. L is being revived at a point in the distant future, when technology has advanced enough to cure his disease. Mr L finds himself in a world that has drastically changed — to the point that the line between what’s real and what’s not is no longer clear.
Mr. L‘s appointed psychological advisor (played by legendary screen actor Rutger Hauer) is tasked with helping him emotionally adapt to this strange new world. The songs on CD1 follow the main character Mr. L‘s emotional journey as he is confronted with both serious and comical aspects of the “New Real”, and desperately tries to decide if he can find a meaningful place within it.
CD2 is a mix of songs that are part of the concept but didn’t fit on CD1, and cover songs that are (more or less) related to the concept. As Arjen‘s fans have come to expect, informative and humorous “behind-the-scenes” videos are added to both CDs as CD-ROM tracks. This beautiful two-CD limited-edition mediabook is illustrated by the striking artwork of Claudio Bergamin.
Lucassen recently enlisted the talents of legendary screen actor Rutger Hauer as the narrator on “Lost In The New Real”.
“This is a dream come true,” said Arjen. “Rutger is not only one of my favorite actors, he also starred in my all-time favorite sci-fi movie, ‘Blade Runner’.”
Rutger also enjoyed the collaboration with Arjen, saying, “[Arjen] connected with me when he was working on his new album. Said he was a big fan and wanted to see if I could do the voiceover. This happened over just a few weeks and it was marvelous work, very creative. I hope you enjoy it.”
“Lost In The New Real” (song) audio stream:
“Lost In The New Real” (album) trailer: