Fan-filmed video footage of progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER performing on July 24, 2011 at the High Voltagefestival in Victoria Park, London, England can be seen below.
“A Dramatic Turn Of Events”, the much-anticipated new album from DREAM THEATER, which marks new drummer Mike Mangini‘s recorded debut, will be released on September 13 via Roadrunner Records.
The “A Dramatic Turn Of Events” deluxe collector’s edition exclusive pre-order box set includes the following:
* “A Dramatic Turn Of Events” album
* Instrumentals of the entire album
* DVD of “The Spirit Carries On” – a 60-minute movie documenting DREAM THEATER‘s drummer auditions
* Double-LP set of “A Dramatic Turn Of Events” (180-gram vinyl in gatefold jacket)
* DREAM THEATER branded custom turntable slipmat
* Litho Print of album cover
* 50 lucky winners will find a DREAM THEATER “Ticket For Life” (randomly inserted)
* All content housed in a custom box
* Receive a digital download of the album the day before release
In a recent interview with Revolver magazine, DREAM THEATER guitarist John Petrucci stated about the departure of the band’s drummer and founding member Mike Portnoy, “I love Mike. We’ve known each other for so long… I met him when I was, what, 17? We went to Berklee [College Of Music] together. We went through everything. He’s an awesome guy.
“It was a heartbreaking chapter in our lives, but it’s just one of those things in life where there’s a big change, and you don’t expect it, and what matters is the way face that change. You can embrace it or you can run from it. We just chose to move on.”
On the topic of “A Dramatic Turn Of Events”, Petrucci said, “It’s everything that makes DREAM THEATER what it is. It’s all our elements — metal elements, progressive elements, melodic elements, and all the playing and fusion elements we’ve always had. I try to stay pure to the initial conception of our band; we’re a progressive band and we’re a metal band, mixed.
“We always try to push some sort of boundary and do something that’s a little bit different, some sort of element we haven’t done before. You’ll hear that for sure. You don’t want to repeat yourself, but at the same time it’s important to stay focused on what makes up the sound of the band.
“My favorite bands growing up were YES and RUSH, so ‘Hemispheres’, ‘Close To The Edge’, ‘And You An I’ — those big, dramatic songs are a huge part of what we do, married with the metal sound and melodic sound that makes us unique. That’s always be there.”