From childhood road trips in his family’s Winnebago to touring the U.S. in his own custom coach, rock musician Bret Michaels is the ultimate road dog who has logged more than three million miles in RVs. As a hands-on aficionado, Michaels knows the ins and outs of the RV lifestyle and now, for the first time, he’s sharing this passion and expertise with travelers and RV fans everywhere in Travel Channel‘s new original series, “Rock My RV With Bret Michaels”, premiering Sunday, May 26 at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. The 16-episode series — 15 half-hours and a special one-hour finale — will debut with back-to-back episodes, and kick off Travel Channel‘s “We Are Summer” multiplatform programming initiative. Each episode will feature the transformation of one of 16 beaten and bruised RVs into a customized RV — culminating in a show-stopping reveal — designed and built under the direction of RV enthusiast Michaels.
The series will be complemented by an online contest, “Rock My RV with Bret Michaels: Epic RV Giveaway Contest,” in which one lucky viewer will have the opportunity to win their very own custom-built RV designed by Michaels. From June through July, fans can submit their video entry through TravelChannel.com, and the winner will be revealed as part of the show’s one-hour finale. More entry details to follow this summer when the contest officially launches.
“I am a self-proclaimed ‘drealist’ — a dreamer and a realist — and consider myself to be the ultimate RV adventurer,” says Michaels. “For me, RVs are so much more than just a mode of transportation — they’re a tradition and a huge part of both my personal and professional life.
“Some of my best childhood memories are from RV road trips, and a pastime I now share with my own kids. This is a passion project for me. We’re doing things that have never been done before. I’m amped to work with each of the owners and take their RV experience to rock star status.”
“The amount of energy, creativity and knowledge Bret brings to this series will blow our viewers away,” says Andy Singer, GM, Travel Channel. “In fact, saying he’s poured his blood and sweat into these vehicles is an understatement. He’s out there working hard because he cares. No matter how intense and crazy the projects get, Bret‘s determination and chemistry with the design team allow him to wildly transform these RVs beyond their owners’ imaginations.”
“Rock My RV With Bret Michaels” will follow Michaels as he leads a highly skilled design/build team as they transform well-worn, dilapidated RVs into the most luxurious, over-the-top, hooked up mobile mansions on the road. While rock stars have a reputation for destroying hotel rooms and living life like it’s a non-stop party, when it comes to RVs Michaels is all business. He gets down and dirty as he brings beaten down RVs back to life. As nervous RV owners turn their keys over to a rock star, Michaels always asks, “Do you trust me?”…and in this series, they unquestionably should!
Each vehicle is outfitted with deluxe amenities, state-of-the-art technology, and pushes the bar on RV design — creating groundbreaking tailor-made vehicles that open road dreams are made of. Along with Michaels, the dream team includes master fabricator Bodie Stroud — a creative visionary and founder of BS Industries, Inc., an award-winning company that designs and builds customs and hot rods, and lead builder Jake Scott — a skilled artist well-versed in home design, a variety of mediums and a flair for building one-of-a-kind custom items.
Some highlights of the RV transformations that will be featured in the series include:
* “Stealth Bomber” 1966 GM Buffalo tour bus — this rig has spent 40 years on the road as the tour bus for a bluegrass band. Owner Kevin wishes to take it back out there with his wife, in honor of his late musician uncle.
* “TapouT” 2006 Fleetwood Providence — this RV is the mobile leg of TapouT, the official retailer of MMA clothing, training gear and accessories. Owners Dan “Punkass” and Tim “SkyScrape” need a fun yet functional coach to also double as a promotional tool and extension of their brand.
* “Scum Scouts” 1992 Coachman Royal — the Mendonsa family first bought their RV in hopes of fixing it up for family vacations. But after the tragic loss of one of their sons, their dreams of restoring it were put on hold. Now, they’re ready to transform it into a rolling tribute to their son.
* “Sausage Wagon” 1973 GMC Canyonlands — owner Bill needs a major fix-up to his retro bus, which serves as the food truck for his side venture “Bite Me Gourmet Sausages.” Bill feeds hundreds of hardworking local firefighters with his home cooking, but is in dire need of a proper kitchen!
* “RoXor” 1973 RoXor — originally designed to transport generals during wartime, this is one of the rarest RVs in the world. Owner Roark wants to make this vintage rig into an RV experience his family and kids will always cherish.
“Rock My RV with Bret Michaels” is produced by BCII Productions for Travel Channel. For BCII, the executive producers are Bud Brutsman and Bret Michaels. For Travel Channel, the executive producer is Patrick McManamee.
Check out a couple of “Rock My RV With Bret Michaels” trailers below.