Vocalist Niklas Kvarforth of Swedish extreme metallers SHINING has issued the following update:
“Guitarist Fredric Gråby has left the ranks of SHINING today because he no longer felt able to continue playing. Unfortunately, this means that we have been forced to cancel our appearance at the Ragnarok Festival this month as there is not enough time for a new guitarist to learn the material. We are also pleased to announce that Christian Larsson, who has been playing bass with the band for some time on a temporary basis, has now has joined SHINING as a permanent full-time member.”
Following on from the recent news that SHINING had parted company with Indie Recordings and signed with Spinefarm Records, the band has debuted a track from the forthcoming album, “VII / Född Förlorare”, which in English means “Born Loser”. The track “Förtvivlan, Min Arvedel” can be heard usingthe SoundCloud player below.
All the music and lyrics for “VII / Född Förlorare”, which is due for release on May 25, were written by SHINING‘s founder and frontman Niklas Kvarforth, and the album was recorded over what the band describes as “three long years” inside the Slaughterhouse studios in Sweden, with Rickard Bengtsson once again producing.
Kvarforth himself defines the finished result as “THE” SHINING album. “It is”, he commented, “the natural successor to our fifth album ‘V/Halmstad’, rather than to our last release, ‘VI/Klagopsalmer’, which I have always thought of as more of an experiment both in terms of writing and performance.”
“VII / Född Förlorare” includes an array of guest appearances, and here follows a track-by-track description of the album.
* “Förtvivlan, Min Arvedel” (Despair, My Heritage) marks the start of what promises to be the darkest album in SHINING‘s career to date — and for a band that epitomises the exploration of darkness, the significance of that statement is self-evident. A video of the track is currently being made.
* “Tiden Läker Inga Sår” (Time Heals Nothing). As well as being tortured behind the microphone throughout most of the song, WATAIN‘s Erik Danielsson makes an appearance on vocals on a track whose atmosphere is evocative of LED ZEPPELIN.
* “Människa O’Avskyvärda Människa” (Man Despicable Man) could perhaps be the most groovy, yet most sinister and dark song from SHINING. Chris Amott of ARCH ENEMY contributes a magnificent solo on the track.
* “Tillsammans Är Vi Allt” (Together We Are All) sheds an entirely new light on the band with its melancholic structure and the use of a grand piano as the lead instrument. The refrain is sung by Nordman, one of Sweden’s biggest pop stars.
* “I Nattens Timma” (In The Night Hour). As can be expected with a SHINING album, there is always one track that differs from the rest, and this is the one, with only piano, mellotron and a guest vocal appearance by Peter Bjärgö of ARCANA.
* “FFF” A track exploring family relationships, this is one of the most personal songs that Kvarforth has ever written.