The soundtrack to the upcoming film adaptation of the hit Broadway musical “Rock Of Ages”, which showcases popular rock songs from the ’70s and ’80s, features the cast — Tom Cruise, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Russell Brand and Julianne Hough— singing some of the greatest hits of the “hair-band” era.
Due to be released June 5 — ten days before the film hits theatres — “Rock Of Ages: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack” features the following track listing:
01. Paradise City (Tom Cruise)
02. Sister Christian/Just Like Paradise/Nothin’ But a Good Time (Diego Boneta)
03. Juke Box Hero/I Love Rock ‘N’ Roll (Diego Boneta)
04. Hit Me With Your Best Shot (Catherine Zeta-Jones)
05. Waiting For A Girl Like You Diego Boneta
06. More Than Words/Heaven (Diego Boneta)
07. Wanted Dead Or Alive (Julianne Hough)
08. I Want To Know What Love Is (Malin Akerman)
09. I Wanna Rock (Diego Boneta)
10. Pour Some Sugar On Me (Tom Cruise)
11. Harden My Heart (Julianne Hough)
12. Shadows Of The Night/Harden My Heart (Julianne Hough)
13. Here I Go Again (Diego Boneta)
14. Can’t Fight This Feeling (Russell Brand)
15. Any Way You Want It (Julianne Hough)
16. Undercover Love (Diego Boneta)
17. Every Rose Has Its Thorn (Diego Boneta)
18. Rock You Like A Hurricane (Julianne Hough)
19. We Built This City/We’re Not Gonna Take It (Russell Brand)
20. Don’t Stop Believin’ (Diego Boneta)
An audio sample of Cruise singing the DEF LEPPARD classic “Pour Some Sugar On Me” can be streamed below (courtesy of RyanSeacrest.com).
Tom Cruise stars in “Rock Of Ages” as Stacee Jaxx, an aging musician whose glory days are long past. Among the tunes Cruise performs are DEF LEPPARD‘s “Pour Some Sugar On Me”, SCORPIONS‘ “Rock You Like A Hurricane”, BON JOVI‘s “Wanted Dead Or Alive” and STYX‘s “Renegade”.
Adam Anders, executive music producer for the film and album, recently told The Hollywood Reporter about Cruise‘s vocal skills, “He had never sung in his life. He was like, ‘I need to know that I can do this before I sign on.’ So I went to his house to hear him sing and even though he was completely green as a singer, his vocal cords were amazing. He had this voice that blew me away. It was the most powerful voice I had ever heard. So loud. He could do anything and go as high as we wanted. It was like a kid discovering he had a new toy. I left there super-pumped knowing that not only could we make him pass as a singer in the movie, but we would blow people away with what he could do.”
He added, “[Tom‘s] confidence kept growing as we worked together. I think he started off a little nervous, as anybody would who has never done this, but he just bought it 110%. He works harder than anybody I’ve ever met in my life. By the end of this movie, the guy was just phenomenal. I remember telling him, ‘You’re a singer!'”
DEF LEPPARD guitarist Phil Collen recently told VH1 Classic Rock Nights that he and his bandmates got to meet Cruise and that the actor “was a super-lovely guy.” Collen added, “I was so impressed because he hadn’t sung before and he had vocal lessons. He was literally doing five hours a day, five days a week, like truly real, getting in there and doing it. And we saw him and he was amazing, it was like Iggy Pop meets someone else and he’s in great shape and it was like, ‘What!?!’ It was surreal, but he really pulls it off and it was like he’s a total rock star.”
It was previously reported that Cruise was preparing for his role by training with Axl Rose‘s vocal coach. “He’s been studying with — seriously — Axl Rose‘s voice teacher like five hours a day,” director Adam Shankman told The Wrap in April. “The prognosis is more than excellent.”
The movie is a love story told through the music of PAT BENATAR, BON JOVI, JOURNEY, POISON, TWISTED SISTER and other artists from the 1980s.
“Rock Of Ages” also stars Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Paul Giamatti, Malin Akerman and many others. It scheduled to arrive in theaters on June 15.